Saturday, July 30, 2011

Birthday overkill

Today was Natalie's 2nd birthday party. I'm sad to say I spent around $500 on it, invited lots of friends (too many for our small house), and instead of being joyful and fun, it was stressful. I pretty much hated every minute of it, hated myself for not anticipating the problems, for spending too much money, for overwhelming my two-year-old. She was in tears as I tried to get her to open presents. I had to just give up.

I hope my friends will forgive me for being a lousy party planner. I hope I can forgive myself.

Rob tells me people had fun, even Natalie. I take his word for it.

Sometimes my confidence as a mom gets shaken, and this is one of those times. No more parties, at least no more big parties, in this house. Martha Stewart I am not.

2 comments:

  1. aw Mary, I'm so sorry! This is how we learn, eh? You're a fantastic mommy with two happy and wonderful girls. Don't let one day get you down. :( We can never predict what these kids will do/like from minute to minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologize because we all have been or will be in your same shoes on any given birthday be it at age 2 or some other fun filled age like 13. And for the record, you always appeared very calm, cool and collected throughout the whole party.

    ReplyDelete